Sunday 11 September 2016

Today I run the Great North Run

Today I run the Great North Run, the worlds largest half marathon, alongside 56,000 other runners and I cannot wait.

I would like to take this opportunity to give a HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to everyone who has donated to my Just Giving Page over the last few weeks, from friends and family to work colleagues and the people I've not met from various social media outlets. Your money is going a long way, providing a helping hand or a friendly face to those going through the worst of times. I can't quite believe I've managed to raise over £700 for Macmillan, I thought I'd struggle to get half that, you've all been amazing, thank you.

Today feels like a bit of a health mile stone for me, a little over 18 months ago I was laying in a hospital bed, thoroughly frustrated with the hand I'd been dealt. A feeling that is hard to recall right now as for every mile I've run this year I feel further and further away from the person I was on that ward. However I still get a nice little reminder every 6 weeks with blood tests, and it's important to never forget those times, but now I feel healthy and back to the fitness I had a few years ago. I feel extremely lucky to be able to look back from this vantage point which is why I'd like to take the time to dedicate today's run; to anyone who's just been diagnosed with cancer, anyone who is starting beginning or ending their chemo, anyone pre or post op, this ones for you.

Matt x


1 comment: